This year, we will be implementing The Common Core State Standards for Mathematics using Envision Math 2.0 / Pearson Realize. The standards provide a consistent, clear understanding of what students are expected to learn, so teachers and parents know what they need to do to help them. They are designed to be robust and relevant to the real world, reflecting the knowledge and skills that our young people need for success in college and careers. Our instructional time will consist of whole group, cooperative groups and partners as well as opportunities for additional skill-based instruction in small group and one-on-one setting with the teacher.
Pearson Realize helps us meet every student at every level. Pearson offers the opportunity to look inside your child’s day-to-day learning. Visit www.pearsonrealize.com to not only view your child's progress, but also interact with current concepts using innovative learning paths that include text, inquiry and digital options. You will be amazed at how motivated and excited your child will be to share in the interactive learning experiences while studying at home. Watch as your child “teaches” you how to access the resources we utilize in the classroom.
By fourth grade, simple addition and subtraction facts should be mastered. If your student does not fluently know the multiplication facts through 12, please take time to practice with them (cards, computer games, skip counting, etc.), because we test these facts almost daily. We have found the students who achieve automaticity with their multiplication facts are the ones who can concentrate on higher order thinking and best achieve in mathematics. Those who do not know them are stalled in their progress. Your student may need extra help at home in this area. By the end of the year, all multiplication facts should be memorized and well into mastering the division facts.
Reflex Math is an excellent, effective tool available to all Brookwood Students. Reflex helps students of all ability levels to develop fluency with their basic facts in addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. https://www.reflexmath.com
We are fortunate to be using ST Math is a subscription based math practice website for elementary children. It is a game-based program that builds deeper conceptual understanding of math. Providing results at scale, plus personalized intervention. Fourth graders will engage in differentiated learning experiences based on their unique needs. Students will use this program (at school and home) to enhance understanding of the current math curriculum, review/reinforcement/practice previous and current concepts, extend knowledge and enrich through engaging practice.
Fourth Grade Mathematics Overview
Operations and Algebraic Thinking
- Use the four operations with whole numbers to solve problems.
- Gain familiarity with factors and multiples.
- Generate and analyze patterns.
Number and Operations in Base Ten
- Generalize place value understanding for multi-digit whole numbers.
- Use place value understanding and properties of operations to perform multi-digit arithmetic.
Number and Operations—Fractions
- Extend understanding of fraction equivalence and ordering.
- Build fractions from unit fractions by applying and extending previous understandings of operations on whole numbers.
- Understand decimal notation for fractions, and compare decimals and fractions.
Measurement and Data
- Solve problems involving measurement and conversion of measurements from a larger unit to a smaller unit.
- Represent and interpret data.
- Geometric measurement: understand concepts of angle and measure angles.
- Draw and identify lines and angles, and classify shapes by properties of their lines and angles.
In Fourth Grade, mathematical instructional time will focus on three critical areas:
- developing understanding and fluency with multi-digit multiplication, and developing understanding of dividing to find quotients involving multi-digit dividends;
- developing an understanding of fraction equivalence, addition and subtraction of fractions with like denominators, and multiplication of fractions by whole numbers;
- understanding that geometric figures can be analyzed and classified based on their properties, such as having parallel sides, perpendicular sides, particular angle measures, and symmetry.