The Canyons School Board recognizes that student discipline is essential to further the educational process and provide an environment conducive to learning. The Board authorizes the Administration to take appropriate action to preserve order among the students and staff and to protect school property. Acts of violence, use or possession of a weapon or facsimile, criminal behavior, and gang activity in or about District schools, property, or activities shall be dealt with in accordance with District policy and the law. (See Utah Code §53A-11-901)
- Possessing (regardless of intent), using, selling or attempting to possess any firearm, weapon, knife, explosive device, fireworks, chemical weapon, martial arts weapon, or other instrument including those which eject a projectile or substance of any kind, or any replica or facsimile of any of the above,whether functional or nonfunctional, whether designed for use as a weapon or for some other use. This includes toy knives, toy guns, and squirt guns.
- Causing or attempting, threatening or conspiring to cause damage to personal or real property, or causing or attempting, threatening or conspiring to cause harm to a person, throug
- a. Drugs or alcoholic beverages.
- b. Sexual harassment
- c. Arson- the willful and malicious destruction of any part of a building or its contents or occupants by use of fire or explosives.
- d. Burglary- breaking, entering or remaining in a structure without authorization during the hours when the premises are closed to students.
- e. Larceny or Stealing- the intentional, unlawful taking and/or carrying away of property belonging to/or in the lawful possession or custody of another .
- f. Criminal Mischief- willful or malicious injury or damage in excess of $200.00 to public property or to real or personal property belonging to another.
- g. Battery- the unlawful and intentional touching or striking of another person against his or her will.
- h. Assault- placing another person in fear or apprehension of a harmful or offensive touching, whether or not touching is actually intended.
3. Involvement in any activity which violates federal, state or local law or regulation, disrupting normal school proceedings, or causing or attempting, threatening or conspiring to cause other students to violate federal, state or local law or regulation or to disrupt school proceedings, or attempting, threatening or conspiring to do any of these.
4. Laser pointers, toys, electronic games, pagers, phones, and stereo equipment are not allowed at school.
5. The use of foul, profane, vulgar or abusive language is prohibited.
6. Possession of a cellular telephone by a student is a privilege that may be forfeited by any student who uses his/her cell phone inappropriately. A student who possesses a cellular phone shall assume responsibility for its care. At no time shall the District be responsible for preventing theft, loss or damage to cell phones brought onto school property. Cellular telephone use during classroom time, instructional activities and field trips is prohibited. Cellular telephones must remain off during these times.
7. Any use of an electronic device that exploits personal information, disrupts the educational process, invades personal privacy or compromises the integrity of educational programs is strictly prohibited. Students violating these guidelines will be disciplined in accordance with Board Policy JK.