Article I – Name
Brookwood Elementary School Community Council (SCC)
Article II – Laws
All Utah School Community Councils function under the following laws and statutes:
Utah Code Ann.
- 53G 7-1202
- 539 7-1204
- 53F 2-404
Utah Administrative Code:
- R277-491-1, et seq.
- R277-477-1, et seq.
Canyons School District Policy:
- Section: K-School Community-Home Relations; School Community Councils; File No.KCE
Article III – Standing Rules
- Elections for SCC representatives will be held in the spring of the prior school year. All voting SCC members will have their name and contact information posted on the school website.
- Notification of available SCC parent member seats, election dates and procedure for declaring candidacy for the SCC will be listed on the school website and posted in the main office.
- If there are more candidates than available seats, an election shall take place over 3 consecutive school days. Two alternates will be selected from the remaining candidates after the seats are filled, in the order of the number of votes received.
- An alternate may be appointed by the SCC as a voting member of the Council if a seat is vacated prior to the next election.
- Membership: The number of School Community Council members will be limited to 10 parent representatives and 6 school employee (including the principal) members. This complies with the state law.
- Members, parent and employee, have an expectation of attendance.
- If for some reason a member cannot attend a scheduled meeting, notification should be given to the Chair or Principal prior to the meeting
- If an SCC member misses three meetings in a given school year, they will be invited to resign as a voting member of the committee and the respective group (parent or employee) may appoint a replacement from the alternates selected during the election
- If no alternate is available to serve, and it is determined that the seat needs to be filled, the SCC may seek out parents or school employees to be appointed.
- The Brookwood Elementary School Community Council will meet monthly with the exception of December, June, July, and August.
- Meetings may be canceled or added by vote of the SCC with a minimum of 4 meetings per year
- Meeting dates for the year will be set at the final SCC meeting of the previous year
- The School Community Council may not close meetings. The meetings are always open to the public. Notification of the meeting, its agenda and minutes will be posted on the school website for three years.
- All meetings will be conducted by the SCC Chair or Vice-Chair and follow the guidelines listed below.
- Meetings will be conducted according to the established Rules of Order and Procedure
- Meetings will begin on time, use time wisely and finish on time, and stay focused on the agenda
- Members and guests will come prepared to participate and avoid side conversations during the meeting
- Respect for others in verbal and non-verbal communication will be shown at all times
- Avoid disruptions by silencing cell phones and taking necessary calls or conversations out of the room during the meeting
- Actions of the SCC requiring a vote will be conducted according to parliamentary procedures. A voting member must make a motion, another will second the motion and following discussion, the council will vote. In votes that are too close to call through a verbal vote, a roll-call vote will be taken.
- Officers will be elected by the SCC at the September meeting each school year. The current Chair/Vice-Chairs will serve through the summer months, assist the Principal with SCC elections, conduct the September meeting and assist the new leadership in the transition even if they no longer have a student at Brookwood Elementary School.
Leadership positions include:
- Principal: Works with the Chair/Vice-Chairs to create and post meeting agendas and provides support information for the duties of the SCC. The principal is responsible to see that the council members receive annual training about their responsibilities.
- Chair/Vice-Chairs: Conduct the meetings, with the Principal create and post the meeting agendas, and other duties as outlined in law and rule. Vice-Chairs may be a parent member or an employee.
- Secretary (optional, but recommended): Takes notes and creates the minutes of the meeting for approval by the SCC.
- PTSA Liaison (optional, but recommended): May be an elected parent member of the Council or an ex-officio non-voting member.
- Guests may share appropriate input on subjects that fall under the SCC purview. A patron may bring a topic to the SCC by contacting the Chair at least one week prior to the scheduled meeting and asking to be added to the agenda. The SCC may invite any person/group to make a presentation on issues pertinent to the role of the SCC. The items that are appropriate for discussion by School Community Councils include, but are not limited to:
- School Improvement Plan.
- School LAND Trust Plan.
- Academic needs of the school, with the direction to determine the greatest academic need of the school for LAND Trust Plan expenditures.
- Advise and make recommendations regarding school programs and issues relating to the community environment for students.
- Parent/School communication and involvement.
Items not to be discussed by the School Community Council include:
- Any personal issues
- Individual student information
- These Bylaws will be posted on the SCC page of the school website. Each SCC member will read and agree to abide by the Bylaws as signified on their declaration of candidacy and at the beginning of each school year.